To get detailed insights about your personality, you can take a free personality test at the end of this article. The test uses the latest advancements in artificial intelligence to give you deep insights into your personality.
There is nothing wrong with being boastful and a little selfish from time to time. But taking these traits to the extreme makes a person a narcissist. People with narcissistic personalities have no regard for other people’s feelings and emotions. Being too self-absorbed means a person is suffering from a narcissist personality disorder.
Narcissistic Personality Disorder
A narcissist personality disorder is a mental illness. If you recognize some of the narcissistic traits in your personality you can always take a narcissistic personality disorder test to see whether you are on the disorder spectrum or not.
How to Identify NPD?
The word narcissism was coined in Greek mythology in a story where a young handsome man named Narcissus falls in love with his reflection after seeing it in a pool. He became too obsessed with himself that he did not care about anything else.
People with narcissistic disorder have the following prominent personality characteristics:
- Often upsetting other people
- Struggle to maintain a stable relationship
- Prioritizing themselves
- Believe they know the right way
- Dedicate majority of their time talking about themselves
- Constantly crave admiration and attention
- Exaggerating their achievements and talents
- Too self-centered
- Fast and wide mood swings
- Fail to take other’s feelings seriously
- Win, no matter what
- Have a fantasy about money, power, and success
- Believe they are extra special and only associate with other special people
- Envious of other people and believe others have the same feelings towards them
- Are impatient and get angry when denied special treatment
- Secretly feel shame, humiliation, insecurity, and vulnerability
NPD and Struggling Relationships
Narcissists find it hard to have a close relationship because of the interpersonal issues triggered by their narcissism. The interpersonal issues are caused because of NPD symptoms.
Narcissists easily get hurt, overact and find it difficult to take criticism. They do not take responsibility and make attempts to manipulate others which is why they fail to maintain a healthy relationship.
They are not good listeners and often interrupt other people as they want attention. They seem to have high self-esteem but their rage is a result of deep insecurity hiding underneath a grand and false exterior.
Causes of NPD
The cause of narcissistic disorder is not known. Several factors can lead to the disorder. Some of the common causes are:
- Verbal, physical, and sexual abuse during childhood
- Family history and genetics
- Hypersensitivity to light, childhood, noise, and textures
- Early relationships with relatives, parents, and friends
- Temperament and personality
People who are put on a pedestal by their parents from a young age become accustomed to receiving endless praise and undivided attention from early childhood and they are at a high risk of developing NPD. The opposite is also true because children that are completely ignored or suffer abuse can also develop NPD as a survival instinct. They feel they are the only ones concerned for their well-being and that is why they can get possessive.
To get a proper and reliable diagnosis, it’s essential to go to a psychiatrist, psychologist, or psychotherapist. The professionals are best suited to take a look at the symptoms and determine whether you need help or not.
Narcissistic personality disorder test
To make an accurate diagnosis, mental health professionals use specially designed tests. The questions in the test are designed to give the health professional all the necessary information they need about the person’s mental condition.
There is a session after the questionnaire in which the mental health professional can have a more detailed discussion based on the results of the questionnaire.
There are personality tests that can help in identifying dominant characteristics. We have accurate, AI-assisted tests on our website that offer quick and reliable results. If the test tells you that the personality traits are too similar to the symptoms of NPD then it is time to get some professional help.
Potential Treatment for Narcissism
The primary treatment for narcissism is long-term counseling. It is not a physical issue so it cannot be treated with pills or physical therapy. It is a mental disorder that can not be treated with drugs but sometimes drugs are subscribed because it can also cause anxiety and depression. Some drugs can help deal with that.
Counseling helps get a better insight into the problems and triggers of a person and can help determine the necessary changes required to lead a happy and healthy life.
Talk therapy is mostly the center of NPD treatment because it is the best way of understanding a person’s behavior and feelings. Talk therapy is considered an effective treatment because of the following reasons:
- It can help a narcissistic person accept and maintain relationships and get on well with people around them
- By talking, they get to know all aspects of their personality
- They learn to listen to criticism and come to terms with their failures
- Assist in developing realistic goals
- Narcissistic people can also develop an addiction because of depression and if they do, treatment for addiction must also be sought
- In children’s cases, parents have to take a look at their parenting style and cut back the excessive praise
Living with a mental disorder such as narcissism is challenging and it is easy to get tempted and give up on the treatment.
Here are some things to keep in mind to make sure you get through the treatment and get better:
- Always have an open mind
- Stay focussed on the goals and rewards of the treatment
- Listen to the doctor and do not skip any appointments
- Do not try to hide addictions and make sure to get help for that
The first step in dealing with a mental disorder like narcissism is to recognize the problem and accept it. Our website has the best personality tests that can let you know the dominant personality traits. The reliable tests offer a deep insight into one’s personality opening the door for betterment. Willingness to get better is the key to treating narcissistic personality disorder. Diagnosis and counseling are excellent ways of changing one’s thought pattern and behavior and working towards improving quality of life.